Friday, July 20, 2012

No easy answers

In the larger world and in my own personal life, I've been feeling for some time things are just not right.  Even on my Facebook status I posted that I was like Worf on Star Trek TNG; that I had somehow slipped into the wrong quantum reality.  So while I may speculate on other quantum realities and even appreciate and on some level understand the underlying physics that makes such speculations possible.....I must return again to that Truth with which continually I struggle.....God is sovereign.

Yes, there could be, there may be other quantum realities, but there are not.  These are realities with a little "r".  There is only one Reality as there is only one Now, one Eternal Now.  God is sovereign.  In "Out of the Silent Planet", C.S. Lewis posited a world in which their Adam and Eve had been obedient. But in our world, they were not and the whole of human history reverberates with the results and consequences of that first: "I'll do it my way, I know what's best for me."

God is not surprised.  The mercy, the love, the justice, the holiness, the very goodness of God are not contradictory to each other, or to His sovereignty, even in light of horrendous events like what happened in Aurora, Colorado.  I know that it is beyond a conundrum to the human mind, it is not fatalism either.  It was not God's will for an insane, evil-driven man to open fire in a movie theatre on strangers, killing many and injuring more.  Even in this, yes, even in this -- God is sovereign -- and His will and purpose are still being worked out.  His redemptive grace is always present and is still active.  God's omniscience does not negate that Heaven grieves with those who lost loved ones at the hand of evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment